Today there are many buzzwords for it:
Brain Hemisphere Synching https://move-with-me.com/self-regulation/10-benefits-of-cross-crawl-brain-hemisphere-synching-exercise/
Neurological disorganization - Repatterning Exercise http://www.headbacktohealth.com/Cross_crawl.html
Whatever it is called, I truly wish my teachers and my mother knew about it when I was a kid.
I remember well, our reader in fourth grade in 1958, “Singing Wheels.” I liked the stories, but I would not—or I could not—finish reading them. I felt stupid and worse, lazy!!
When my teacher noticed that I was not choosing a library book to read, she chose a book for me. I enjoyed it; but I still felt stupid because I could not always finish reading it before I had to turn it in.
About that same time, my mother insisted, sometimes physically, that I play the piano. I hated it! Finally, my piano teacher, whom I now realize was a very sweet and sensitive teacher, told my mother not to force me to play the piano; that I was a bundle of nerves when I had to play my piece.
Later, in high school, I shrank to a level of invisibility when the teacher announced that we would have a timed reading test. Oh, how I dreaded timed reading tests. Not only could I not keep up and finish an article, I was also embarrassed of my score. I was humiliated again when the other students, with pride, shared their reading speed.
Then, after taking the high school placement tests, my score confirmed my greatest fear: I WAS stupid!
I feared going to college because of all the reading requirements. To my amazement, however, I did well and earned an A.A. degree. Still, reading was never an enjoyment. Rather, it was physically painful. Even though I did well in my first two years, I was too fearful to continue.
As an office staff employee at the University of Florida for over 30 years, I so envied the students as I watched them as they shared the college experiences. I always longed for a four-year degree, but just could not face the humiliation of failure.
Just last year, at age 67, I found my answer. I cried.
In my search for information on poor reading, dyslexia, etc. I found Liz Weaver’s “Learning Success Blog“ www.learningsuccessblog.com. I learned from Liz that what I experienced all my life was a brain imbalance referred to as “Cross-Crawl.” This brain imbalance is due to a lack of infant crawling. She explained it so much better than I ever could. Please see her blog.
After reading her blog, I asked my chiropractor, Dr. Chris Chance at Chance Chiropractic Clinic in Gainesville, Florida about it. http://chancechiro.com/about-us.html
All of the doctors at Chance Chiropractic Clinic received advanced degree training in many facets of body wellness.
Dr. Chance confirmed the “Cross-Crawl” diagnosis. As I lay on my back on his examining table, he instructed me in the crawling movement of opposite arm and knee motion. I could not do it! He manually moved my arms and legs for me until I could do it on my own.
What a simple diagnosis and simple treatment for years of humiliation.
How my heart breaks for children who suffer from this imbalance making them feel stupid and do not know why or what to do about it.
As one who continues to suffer from this imbalance, I urge educators and parents to study their students for symptoms. Host seminars on the topic. Let everyone know that this problem is real. Let them know there is help and it is as easy as playing.
At the age of 68, it will take me years to rebalance my brain; but I am trying.
Joyce Crawford
Author of The Adventures of Thelma Thistle and Her Friends
Joyceandthelma.com
No comments:
Post a Comment